If you are a goalkeeper, you know how important it is to have the right shorts for your position. You need shorts that are comfortable, reliable, and stylish, but also offer you the protection, fit, and mobility you need to perform at your best. But with so many options available, how do you choose the best goalkeeper shorts for you? Here are some tips and recommendations to help you out.
What are Goalkeeper Shorts?
Goalkeeper shorts are a type of clothing worn by goalkeepers on the lower part of their body. They are usually made of polyester or nylon and have an elastic waistband and drawstring for a secure fit. They may also have pockets or zippers for convenience. Some goalkeeper shorts have padding or foam on the hips and thighs to protect them from impact and abrasion injuries. Some goalkeeper shorts are worn as a top layer over compression shorts or tights, while others are worn as an under layer beneath regular shorts.
What to Look for in Goalkeeper Shorts
As a goalkeeper, you have different needs and preferences when it comes to your shorts. Here are some of the main factors you should consider when choosing your goalkeeper shorts:
• Protection: You want shorts that provide you with enough protection and cushioning for your hips and thighs. Look for shorts that have padding or foam on the sides and front of your legs that absorbs impact and prevents injuries. You also want shorts that have a durable and resistant material that withstands sliding and diving on different surfaces. Protection is crucial for goalkeepers, as you need to be able to dive and slide without fear of getting hurt.
• Fit: You want shorts that fit well and feel good on your body. You don’t want shorts that are too tight or too loose, as they may affect your performance or cause discomfort. Look for shorts that have an elastic waistband and drawstring that allows you to adjust the fit to your preference. You also want shorts that have a breathable and moisture-wicking material that keeps your body dry and cool.
• Mobility: You want shorts that allow you to move freely and comfortably. You don’t want shorts that are too long or too short, as they may restrict your movement or expose your skin. Look for shorts that have a suitable length and width for your leg size and preference. You also want shorts that have a stretchy and flexible material that adapts to your movements.
How to Find Your Perfect Size
Once you know what to look for in goalkeeper shorts, you need to find the ones that fit you perfectly. Here are some tips on how to find your perfect size:
• Measure your body: The first step is to measure your body accurately using a ruler or a tape measure. You should measure both sides of your body as they may differ slightly in size. You should measure your waist, hips, inseam, and thigh.
• Check the size chart: The next step is to check the size chart of the brand or model of shorts you are interested in. Different brands may have different sizing systems, so you should always refer to their specific size chart rather than assuming your usual size. You should compare your body measurements with the size chart and find the size that matches them best. If your measurements fall between two sizes, you should go for the smaller size if you prefer a tighter fit or the larger size if you prefer a looser fit.
• Try them on: The final step is to try on the shorts before buying them. You should try them on with clean underwear and shoes that you will wear with them in a game. You should check how they feel on your body and if they cause any discomfort or pain. You should also check how they fit around your waist, hips, thighs, and knees. The shorts should fit snugly but not too tightly around your body. They should not slip off or rub against your skin. They should also not pinch or cramp your body anywhere.
How to Care for Your Goalkeeper Shorts
Once you have found your perfect goalkeeper shorts, you need to take good care of them so they last longer and perform better. Here are some tips on how to care for your goalkeeper shorts:
• Clean them regularly: After every game or training session, you should clean your shorts thoroughly using a soft brush or cloth and some warm water. You should remove any dirt or mud from the front, back, sides, and pockets of your shorts. You should avoid using any harsh chemicals or detergents as they may damage the color or material of your shorts. You should also avoid submerging your shorts in water as they may lose their shape or shrink.
• Dry them properly: After cleaning your shorts, you should dry them properly using a towel or some newspaper. You should avoid exposing them to direct heat sources such as radiators or hairdryers as they may warp or crack the color or material of your shorts. You should also avoid leaving them in direct sunlight as they may fade or discolor over time.
• Store them correctly: When not in use, you should store your shorts correctly in a cool and dry place away from moisture and humidity. You should avoid stuffing them in a bag or a box as they may lose their shape or develop mold or mildew. You should also avoid storing them near sharp objects or heavy items as they may scratch or dent them.
Choosing the best goalkeeper shorts for you depends on your personal preferences, playing style, and budget. However, you should always look for shorts that offer protection, fit, and mobility as these are essential for any goalkeeper.