Goalkeeper gloves are one of the most important pieces of equipment for a goalkeeper. They protect your hands, enhance your grip, and improve your confidence on the pitch. But how do you choose the right size and fit of goalkeeper gloves? Here are some tips and steps to help you out.
Why size and fit matter
Choosing the right size and fit of goalkeeper gloves is crucial for several reasons:
• Comfort: You want your gloves to feel comfortable and snug on your hands, without being too tight or too loose. A comfortable fit will prevent blisters, cramps, or pain that can distract you from your game. It will also allow you to move your fingers and wrist freely and naturally.
• Performance: You want your gloves to enhance your performance and not hinder it. A well-fitting glove will give you a better feel and control of the ball, as well as a more secure grip. It will also help you avoid fumbling or dropping the ball due to excess or insufficient space in your glove.
• Durability: You want your gloves to last longer and not wear out quickly. A properly fitting glove will reduce the stress and strain on the materials and seams, and prevent tears or splits. It will also prevent dirt or moisture from getting inside your glove and damaging it.
How to measure your hand size
Before you buy any goalkeeper gloves, you need to measure your hand size. This will help you find the right glove size that corresponds to your measurements. Here are some steps you can follow to measure your hand size:
- Step 1: Find a piece of paper, a pen or pencil, and a ruler or tape measure.
- Step 2: Place the paper on a flat surface and stand on it with one foot. Make sure your heel is against the wall or the edge of the paper.
- Step 3: Trace the outline of your foot with the pen or pencil. Make sure you hold it perpendicular to the paper and not at an angle.
- Step 4: Repeat the process with your other foot, as they may not be the same size or shape.
- Step 5: Measure the length of your feet from the heel to the longest toe. Use the ruler or tape measure and record the measurements in centimeters or inches.
- Step 6: Measure the width of your feet at the widest part, usually across the ball of your foot. Use the ruler or tape measure and record the measurements in centimeters or inches.
- Step 7: Compare your measurements with a size chart from the brand or store you want to buy from. You may also want to check their return policy in case the boots don’t fit well.
Alternatively, you can use a printable glove sizing tool that you can find online. Just make sure you print it on A4 paper and follow the instructions.
How to choose gloves based on your hand size
Once you have measured your hand size, you can use a glove size chart to find your corresponding glove size. Here is an example of a glove size chart:
- | Size | Measurement |
| — | — |
| 4 | 15 cm |
| 5 | 16 cm |
| 6 | 17.2 cm |
| 7 | 18.2 cm |
| 8 | 19.4 cm |
| 9 | 20.4 cm |
| 10 | 21.5 cm |
| 11 | 22.6 cm |
To use this chart, simply round up your hand measurement to the nearest whole centimeter and add one centimeter to it. For example, if your hand measurement is 16.5 cm, you will round it up to 17 cm and add one centimeter, which gives you a glove size of 8.
However, keep in mind that this is only a general guideline and that different brands and models may have slight variations in sizing. You may also have personal preferences for how tight or loose you want your gloves to be. Therefore, it is always best to try on different gloves before buying them, and to break them in gradually before using them in a match.
Choosing the right size and fit of goalkeeper gloves can make a big difference in your comfort, performance, and durability as a goalkeeper. By following these tips and steps, you can find the best goalkeeper gloves for your needs. Remember to always measure your hand size, use a glove size chart, and try on different gloves before buying them. Happy saving!