How to Care for Your Goalkeeper Shin Guards: Tips and Tricks to Keep Them in Top Condition
GK shin guards are an essential piece of equipment that can protect your shins and ankles from injuries caused by the ball, the ground or other players. However, goalkeeper shin guards can also get dirty, smelly and damaged over time, especially if you don’t take proper care of them. In this article, we will share some tips and tricks on how to care for your goalkeeper shin guards and keep them in top condition for longer.
Clean them regularly after every match or training session
One of the most important things you can do to care for your goalkeeper shin guards is to clean them regularly after every match or training session. This will prevent dirt, sweat, grass stains and bacteria from accumulating on the surface and inside the material and affecting its quality, appearance and smell. Cleaning your shin guards regularly will also help maintain their shape, size, color and protection properties.
To clean your goalkeeper shin guards, you should:
- Brush off the loose dirt and debris with a soft brush or a cloth.
- Soak them in a bucket, bowl or sink of warm water with a mild detergent or a sports detergent for about 30 minutes. This will loosen up any stubborn dirt and odors and prepare them for washing.
- Wash them by hand or in a gentle cycle in the washing machine with cold or lukewarm water. Do not use bleach, fabric softeners or harsh chemicals that can damage the material or the padding.
- Rinse them thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue.
- Squeeze out the excess water gently without wringing or twisting the material.
Dry them properly before using them again
Another important tip to care for your goalkeeper shin guards is to dry them properly before using them again. Drying your shin guards properly will help prevent mold, mildew, insects or rodents from ruining them. It will also help avoid shrinkage, fading, cracking or peeling of the material or the padding.
To dry your goalkeeper shin guards, you should:
- Hang them on a clothesline or a hanger in a shaded area away from direct sunlight or heat sources that can damage the material or the padding.
- Do not use a dryer, an iron, a hairdryer or any other device that can generate heat or cause fire hazards.
- Do not fold or stack them while they are wet or damp, as this can cause creases or deformities.
Store them in an appropriate location when you are not using them
The last tip to care for your goalkeeper shin guards is to store them in an appropriate location when you are not using them. Storing your shin guards properly will help prevent dust, dirt, moisture or UV radiation from affecting them. It will also help preserve their shape, size, color and quality.
To store your goalkeeper shin guards, you should:
- Fold them neatly without creasing or wrinkling the material.
- Store them in a cool, dark and dry place like a closet, a drawer or a shin guard bag.
- Do not store them in a plastic bag or a sealed container that can trap moisture and cause odor or mold growth.
- Do not expose them to artificial light sources like fluorescent tubes that can emit UV radiation.
By following these tips and tricks, you can care for your goalkeeper shin guards and keep them in top condition for longer. A well-maintained goalkeeper shin guard will not only look good and smell fresh, but also perform better and protect you better on the field. Remember to treat your gk shin guards with respect and care, and they will reward you with many saves!